Juan is discussing this from a Linux threads perspective, not the actual
interface.  As Brandon mentioned, there is only one bus and it is impossible
for two sets of data to be on the pins simultaneously.

________________________________

From: Andy Ngo [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2007 1:50 PM
To: Griffis, Brad; Azbell, Brandon;
davinci-linux-open-source@linux.davincidsp.com
Subject: Re: Can the ARM and DSP accessing the RAM simulatenously?

Hmm...,  I just received an answer from a TI expert that says that the ARM and
DSP can still access the DDR simultaneously as long each is accessing the DDR

memory partition dedicated to it (in other words, as long as they are not
accessing CMEM at the same time).  Here's the response I received from TI.
From what

he said, the ARM and DSP don't block each other if they access their own
dedicated DDR space, even from the same physical chip.  Am I

missing something?

Regards,

Andy Ngo

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Andy,

To answer your question, let me point out that the DDR2 controller has a
theoretical maximum data throughput of 1296 MByte/sec; tests we have conducted
actually show

~95% utilization ( 1240 MBytes/sec).  That said, ARM, DSP, EDMA, VPSS and
master peripherals can access DDR2 (not all may be used in your particular
design).

There is default prioritization scheme as to which client gets it, but you can
alter this via DM6446 registers.

As your hardware engineer pointed out, all accesses to DDR2 will go through one
controller and a common bus.  However, I do not believe this will cause a
bottleneck

 issue for you.  To answer your specific question, Linux (on ARM) is a
multithreaded system and BIOS (on DSP) is a single threaded system.  We already
know that

 calls to DSP are queued, must be done from a common Linux thread, and are
blocking (meaning specific Linux thread is blocked until DSP finishes
processing call).

 However, you can have other Linux threads free to access DDR2 in the mean
time.  In part, the memory map you described serves to separate ARM DDR2 space

from DSP DDR2 space and also defines CMEM (contiguous DDR2 memory shared by
both ARM and DSP).  This means that any DSP algorithm can access DSP

DDR2 space without ARM caring about it and similarly ARM can access ARM DDR2
space without DSP caring about it.  The only time they block each other is

when ARM calls on DSP to process buffer from CMEM space and only the Linux
thread calling DSP is blocked.  In all other cases, so long as there is DDR2

bandwidth left (and chances are there will be), both ARM and DSP can access
DDR2 without concern.

That said, how much DDR2 bandwidth do you estimate you will need to access at
peak loading?

Let me know if this helps clear things up and if there is anything else we can
assist you with.

Best Regards,

Juan Gonzales

DSP Applications