From: Andy Ngo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "davinci-linux-open-source @linux.davincidsp.com" <davinci-linux-open-source@linux.davincidsp.com>
Subject: GIT kernel boot up stalls at INIT: until I hit Enter several times
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 05:23:52 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I recently switched over from the Montavista Linux Pro edition to the GIT kernel. After building the
kernel with the default configuration:
    make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm_v5t_le- davinci_evm_dm644x_defconfig
    make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm_v5t_le- uImage
I loaded the new kernel and am getting weird problems with the GIT kernel booting up (as seen on the serial terminal). It would boot up fine until it stalls at INIT:

EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended
EXT3 FS on hda1, internal journal
EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem).
Freeing init memory: 100K
INIT:

at which point I have to manually press Enter several times to force it to continue booting up to the login prompt. If I just leave it alone it would take like 6 minutes before I get the login prompt. Even then I can't login because the input to the console doesn't seem to respond to what I type correctly. I would try to type "root" at the login prompt, but it would just keep on displaying another login prompt, with my attempt to enter "root" all jumbled up. Really weird. At this point, I gave up and just telnet into the board, which works fine. FYI, the hard drive
filesystem contains that of the contents dvevm 1.10.

Anyone else has this problem with the GIT kernel booting up? Am I doing something wrong?

By the way, with the GIT kernel, I was able to parse the MTD NOR JFFS2 partitions correctly:

    physmap platform flash device: 01000000 at 02000000
    physmap-flash.0: Found 1 x16 devices at 0x0 in 16-bit bank
    NOR chip too large to fit in mapping. Attempting to cope...
    Amd/Fujitsu Extended Query Table at 0x0040
physmap-flash.0: CFI does not contain boot bank location. Assuming top.
    number of CFI chips: 1
cfi_cmdset_0002: Disabling erase-suspend-program due to code brokenness.
    Reducing visibility of 32768KiB chip to 16384KiB
    cmdlinepart partition parsing not available
    RedBoot partition parsing not available
    Using physmap partition information
    Creating 4 MTD partitions on "physmap-flash.0":
    0x00000000-0x00040000 : "bootloader"
    0x00040000-0x00050000 : "params"
    0x00050000-0x00250000 : "kernel"
    0x00250000-0x01000000 : "filesystem"

I was then able to mount the 4th partition as a JFFS2 partition and put stuff on it:
    # mkdir /mnt/rootfs
    # mount -t jffs2 -o noatime /dev/mtdblock3 /mnt/rootfs

Regards,
Andy