Stephen Berry wrote:
> Jeff Cooper wrote:
>> Stephen Berry wrote:

>>> It can't flash to NAND directly. I downloaded the UBL and u-boot into
>>> the DSP memory using the BDI2000. Then once you run u-boot you can flash
>>> your images (ubl, u-boot and uImage) into NAND. It's a pain in the butt,
>>> but it works. The hardest part is creating the magic number blocks.
>>>
>> Ahh, that makes sense.
>>
>> I'd managed to brick my board trying to update U-Boot and haven't hand
>> any luck restoring it yet.  I was going down the route of using CCS
>> v3.3 and a BlackHawk 510 USB emulator to communicate with the board.
>> Unfortunately, the GEL file I downloaded from Spectrum Digital doesn't
>> seem to startup correctly.  It complains about a infinite loop.  It
>> looks like it's getting stuck setting up the PLL1.
>>
>> What do you mean be 'creating the magic number blocks'?  Did you have
>> to modify the U-boot images distributed from TI?
>>
> The 355 (and I would imagine any ARM based DaVinci) uses boot
> descriptors. The boot descriptor tells the boot loader where to get the
> UBL image in NAND, how big it is and the entry point. UBL has the same
> construct for u-boot. Check out the Ti doc sprufb3 - this gives all the
> details of how the 355 boots.
>
> The magic number is embedded in the boot descriptor.

Since we were loading everything into sdram via the JTAG, and then copying it
to NAND with u-boot, we had to create the magic number blocks ourselves.  You
could also use the serial boot, also described in the document Steve referenced.
The code that implements the serial boot/download/flash process also constructs
the descriptors that you need.

There is more info on the serial boot, and a pointer to application code for the
6446, at http://wiki.davincidsp.com/index.php?title=Flashing_NAND_Flash and
in the documents spraai0.pdf and spraai4.pdf.  We used the JTAG instead of the
serial port because we hadn't bothered to port the serial UBL, etc. to our
board.