Michael Gao wrote:
On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 12:15 +0530, Trilok Soni wrote:

For those who do not know, as part of the effort to build OSD
(www.neurostechnology.com) with Davinci 6446, Neuros cloned the 2.6.23
kernel tree (git.neurostechnology.com/git/kernels) and are in the
process of porting existing TI video patches to it, thought it makes
sense to upstream the patches here. Comments are welcome, especially if
someone knows that the effort has been done somewhere else already,

This looks good, so you mean Neuros is building next OSD product with
DM6446? If this is true, then it would be great if you can
periodically send the generic patches to this ML for review and
inclusion.

Indeed that is the plan. In the mean while, it is a waste of time and we
don't really want to reinvent the wheel if some of the up-porting work
has been done for version 2.6.23 or newer kernel, it would be great if
anyone knows any of the following (list may go on as we move forward)
has been done and post pointers here,

1. resizer, previewer, capture (Steven has done most of them, but
doesn't make sense to push if they are already done somewhere else, as
Steven's work is based on my limited understanding of udev, in fact I
brutally hacked the resizer driver without really knowing what I was
doing, although test shows it works. ;))

2. USB host performance and USB Hub support (which Frank is currently
working on, it is not a trivial system as we all know.)

3. HD framebuffer support (720p/1080i?)

4. HD V4L2 support (720p/1080i?)

5. Davinci Open Embedded build system integration
   One of the Neuros community member ported this to DM320 platform,
while we are planning to reuse his effort with Davinci, it would be
great to know if someone has already taken care of this.

5.1 toolchain rebuilding
   In related (somewhat) to OE effort, we are also looking to rebuild a
newer GCC toolchain for Davinci. Existing MontaVista one that came with
DVEVM is too old (GCC3.4.3) and it doesn't even build FFMPEG. This is
another area that we definitely don't want to duplicate effort for.

Did you try CodeSourcery Toolchain

http://www.codesourcery.com/gnu_toolchains/arm

?

This becomes more and more the de facto standard toolchain for ARM based Linux devices.

Once again, although as an organization, Neuros has to pick a kernel
version and stick to it for a while (2.6.23 so far), we really would
like to push all the generic patches upstream thus we have a better base
to work with for future generation product and this benefits everyone
else too I guess. :)

Yes! This sounds really good!

TI & MV unfortunately stick to this really old 2.6.10 stuff. As already discussed elsewhere, they would really help their customers working on recent kernel...

Best regards

Dirk