Not an answer for your question, but related.

Take a look at psplash, I think is a nicer solution for what you are looking for, it allows you to add custom text message during the startup process, and includes a simple tool that generate the proper code from the image file that you provide. Works perfectly on DM355 framebuffer.

http://labs.o-hand.com/psplash/

Regards,

Diego Dompe
RidgeRun Engineering