Hi Chase,

I have resolved the problem ;-)

Basically switching to the busybox 'udhcpc'  allows the board to start with the
cable removed.

It isn't a simple change to get it to work as the 'default' default.script
udhcpc runs to handle interface 'events' that is in the root filesystem is no
good (known working script substituted) and the -p option for PID cache does
not work either (resulting in some grepping for process ID on network shutdown
rather than using the PID in the file). Also the 'ifup' config file has no way
to pass options to 'udhcpc' so I had to investigate a 'manual' definition that
called udhcpc as an external 'method' with the required options.

So now if I boot with the cable not present I get (the output of which takes
around 3 secs)....

Starting network interfaces: eth0: link down
udhcpc (v1.6.0) started
Sending discover...
Sending discover...
Sending discover...
No lease, forking to background

...& the board continues to start up as normal.

Upon plugging in the cable the kernel prints out a 'link up' message and
becuase udhcpc is running in the background it eventually gets an IP address.

Now to prise a DM6446 out of a developer's hands to see if the same changes
work there as well...

Regards

Phil Q

Phil Quiney, Senior Software Engineer