Hi,
What about using davinci-audio-aic32.c instead of davinci-audio-aic33.c?
What is the difference between them? I have some friends working in this
platform but not the original TI board and they say they get mono output using
the first file.
BR,
Amr.

Subject: RE: OSS Device DriverDate: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:45:51 +0100From: [EMAIL
PROTECTED]: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; davinci-linux-open-source@linux.davincidsp.com

Hi,

AFAIK there is no ALSA driver for the DM355/DM6446.

I don't think there is a requirement on an OSS audio driver for mono operation
- from memory the OSS document does not make any suggestions about what number
of channels is mandatory (or sample rates either come to that).

In practise on the various targets we have used, we have found the ALSA drivers
to offer poorer performance than the OSS ones. We almost always use the so
called 'OSS emulation' mode and continue to use the OSS API via /dev/dsp. If we
do not do that and go via the user space 'libasound' we get all kinds of audio
artifacts (clicks/pops).

Bear in mind though that our VOIP application drives the audio interface hard.
We have to use full duplex and also play with fragment size to reduce latancy
and read/write in 'audio codec' sized chunks (10 or 20 msec worth of data
typically). If your application is playing out a file then you will probably
not notice this.

Regards

Phil Q

Phil Quiney, Senior Software EngineerTrinity ConvergenceCambridge Business Park
Cowley Road
Cambridge CB4 0WZ, UKT: +44(0)1223-435536F: +44(0)1223-435560
www.trinityconvergence.com

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of amr aliSent: 23
September 2008 11:22To: davinci forumSubject: FW: OSS Device Driver

Hi,I have tested capabilities of the OSS driver. Here are my findings:
******************************************************************************High
 Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 Audio Player for Layers 1, 2 and 3* version
1.5.1; written and copyright by Michael Hipp and others* free software
(LGPL/GPL) without any warranty but with best wishes*[format.c:188] error:
Unable to set up output format! Constraints: mono, 44100, 22050 or
11025Hz.*[mpg123.c:956] error: Initial seek failed: Unable to set up output
format! (code 1)*So, you have trouble getting an output format... this is the
matrix of currently possible formats:*Audio driver: oss*Audio device:
/dev/dsp*Audio capabilities:*(matrix of [S]tereo or [M]ono support for sample
format and rate in Hz)*        |  s16  |  u16  |  u8   |  s8   | ulaw  | alaw
|* --------------------------------------------------------*  8000  |   S   |
    |       |       |       |       |* 11025  |   S   |       |       |       |
      |       |* 12000  |   S   |       |       |       |       |       |*
16000  |   S   |       |       |       |       |       |* 22050  |   S   |
 |       |       |       |       |* 24000  |   S   |       |       |       |
   |       |* 32000  |   S   |       |       |       |       |       |* 44100
|   S   |       |       |       |       |       |* 48000  |   S   |       |
  |       |       |       |*Somehow the input data and your choices don't allow
one of these.*Tried enabling resampling with a forced rate (only 2to1 and 4to1
downsampling is tried automatically)?*Tried allowing
 BTW, Is there any ALSA device driver for the board? It may be implemented
better than the ALSA device driver and has the mono working? I am using kernel
2.6.1_mvl. BR,Amr Ali.

Get news, entertainment and everything you care about at Live.com. Check it
out!