Hello, I wrote:

Some of the comments about my earlier EDMA patches touched on issues
in that programming interface, like:

- The single call to allocate DMA resources is overly complex.

- Its programming model doesn't match the hardware well:  talking
  about master vs. slave, not channels and parameter RAM; confusing
  those two resource types (especially when allocating); etc.

- Since the calls used a "davinci_" prefix, they wouldn't be very
  appropriate for the DMA in the OMAP-L137 chip.

 We were going to move the generic part of
arch/arm/mach-davinci/dma.c (alomg with other common code b/w so
called OMAP-L1x and DaVinci) to arch/arm/plat-davinci/ but the rename
seems reasonable anyway.

I keep hearing things like this, but have not yet seen any patches, or
technical arguments for doing so.

The technical argument is simple: sharing the code for two similar platforms, the EDMA code in particular.

Unfortunately, they're only similar, not the same platform: the interrupt controllers are totally different (with cp_intc used on OMAP-L1x not being platfrom specific or even ARM specific) -- this being the most striking difference. OMAP-L1x have two PSCs ISO DaVinci's one, has the boot config controller ISO DaVinci's system module, so PinMux registers are mapped (and laid out) differently, MUSB has CPPI 4.1 DMA ISO DaVinci's CPPI 3.0 (with CPPI 4.1 again not being platform specific)...

WBR, Sergei