When you set the breakpoint you'll either get a filled-in red circle, or just
an empty circle.  If it's filled-in with red then CCS "understands" where
you're trying to set the breakpoint.  There are file names embedded in the x64P
file along with the symbols, etc.

One thing to be careful about is the order you're doing things.  You need to
make sure that the ARM loads the DSP *before* you set the breakpoint.
Alternatively, right-click and select "toggle hardware breakpoint".  Otherwise
the software breakpoint might actually be overwritten by the ARM loading the
code and so you'd never halt.

I don't think you ever need to open a project at all.  You just need to load
the symbols.

Brad