On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 02:30:52PM -0700, David Brownell wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 April 2009, Mark A. Greer wrote:
> > Maybe this will help.
> >
> > Its just a hack for your dm355 spi example try to get my
> > point across.  It uses lspc as the tag for what the device
> > is but the clk struct could be extended to add a field for
> > the pinmux.  davinci_pinmux_alloc() basically does a
> > davinci_cfg_reg() on every pin in dm355_pins[DAVINCI_LPSC_SPI]
> > while making sure each pin has not already been allocated.
>
> Doesn't really help:
>
>  - You're still coupling clocks to pinmux.  Just don't.
>
>  - The "pin has not been allocated" stuff isn't actually
>    managing pins/balls ... I see nothing there that could
>    record how for example which balls a cfg_reg setting
>    can affect (it's not one pin per setting).
>
>  - Doesn't even look particularly better in terms of how
>    the SPI setup is used.  Each board's setup code gets
>    more complicated, not less.

Well, I see my example failed to accomplish its goal.

The goal wasn't to provide a complete solution, it was to show
that board code can easily override the soc default setup.
I used the dm355 spi example because that's that one you've referrd to
several times.

It would look better with a better example with lots of pins that need
to be setup but only a few that need to be changed by board code.

Mark