I am trying to reduce boot time on the DM355, with the goal of being able to capture jpeg image 3 sec after power up. I am currently at 7 second from U-boot to userspace.

Currently, i achieve a read transfer rate on the NAND of
roughly 3 MBytes/s.

Do you think it can be improved ? I am using TI UBL from the 1.50
Serial boot utils, and the EMIF setup looks fine.

I also modified the nand read_buf method in u-boot, to read 32 bit word from the nand location, because the emif will automatically translate this to byte access.

Given the nand transfer rate, transferring data is faster than uncompressing them, so I think I will go with the following arch :
uncompressed kernel image + uncompressed initramfs based on a uclibc.

What do you think of my boot time target, is it realistic ?