<snip>

>> [MK]In that case can't the driver just ignore the field polarity? I
>assume that drivers implement the parameter that has support in hardware.
>So it is not an issue.
>
>No, because the same driver runs on hardware that also has the field
>signal. So we need to be able to give information about which signals
>that the board actually implement. We already do this with the
>soc_camera framework and it is working just fine.

Hardware with field signal used (driver use polarity from platform data and set
it in the hardware)
Hardware with field signal not used (In this case, even though the driver sets
it in the hardware, it is not really used in the hardware design and hence is a
don't care. right?

So I don't see why it matters.

Murali