On Thursday 15 October 2009 01:09:04 Steve Ressler wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

Is your mail client sending html messages by default?

>  I'm trying to get my boot time down under 2 seconds. I have followed the
> steps listed at
> http://wiki.davincidsp.com/index.php?title=All_This_For_1_Second_Boot and
> this has gotten me to about 3-4 seconds.
>
>  My question is that I am seeing a pause between the last output of u-boot
> and the first output of the kernel which seems strange to me. This pause is
> on the order of 1.5 seconds, which if I could eliminate would put me right
> where I want to be.
>
>  The output is shown below. The pause I am talking about happens between
> "Starting kernel ..." and "Linux version 2.6.10_mv...."

I don't know the reason of delay but it is related to kernel, not u-boot. Here
is the code related to this point from u-boot:

        /* we assume that the kernel is in place */
        printf ("\nStarting kernel ...\n\n");

#ifdef CONFIG_USB_DEVICE
        {
                extern void udc_disconnect (void);
                udc_disconnect ();
        }
#endif

        cleanup_before_linux ();

        theKernel (0, machid, bd->bi_boot_params);
        /* does not return */
        return;

And the cleanup_before_linux function is:

int cleanup_before_linux (void)
{
        /*
         * this function is called just before we call linux
         * it prepares the processor for linux
         *
         * we turn off caches etc ...
         */

        unsigned long i;

        disable_interrupts ();

        /* turn off I/D-cache */
        asm ("mrc p15, 0, %0, c1, c0, 0":"=r" (i));
        i &= ~(C1_DC | C1_IC);
        asm ("mcr p15, 0, %0, c1, c0, 0": :"r" (i));

        /* flush I/D-cache */
        i = 0;
        asm ("mcr p15, 0, %0, c7, c7, 0": :"r" (i));

        return (0);
}

theKernel function is the actual kernel image. So optimization must be done in
the kernel.

Regards,
Caglar

P.S. My u-boot version may be newer than yours but I verified same delay
exists in my setup also.