Andrew,

Thank you for your inputs.

> Can you elaborate on your "EDMA runs at a lower speed" comment ? The
> usual setup is to have McASP trigger EDMA transfer. An EDMA transfer
> runs at CPU speed. It should be plenty fast enough at 96 MHz.

EDMA here runs at 48MHz and McASP triggers the EDMA transfer.

> In the past I have seen issues where the CPU cache updating has priority
> over the McASP transfer in the EDMA sub-system. That can cause McASP
> underruns. I would first check that the EDMA is configured so that the
> McASP transfer has priority over everything else. I'm not an expert on
> EDMA3, but I think that was one of the improvements they made over
> regular EDMA.

McASP events have the highest priority in EDMA in case events arrive
simultaneously from various channels.

The audio clock is from the codec and will not be affected by frequency
scaling. Also when playback or record is running, CPU load is about 4%,
so this is not a bottleneck either. The only thing that is affected by
frequency scaling is EDMA. Based on these practical observations, it
seems that EDMA is not able to transfer data fast enough. Let me see if
I can check this theoretically too.

Regards,
Chaithrika