On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 00:59:28, Kevin Hilman wrote:
> Kevin Hilman <khil...@deeprootsystems.com> writes:
>
> > Sudhakar Rajashekhara <sudhakar....@ti.com> writes:
> >
> >> This patch set corrects some issues with the existing EDMA
> >> driver and also adds support for EDMA resource (channel/slots)
> >> sharing between two processors (say ARM and DSP).
> >>
> >> The patch set has been tested on DM646x, OMAP-L137 and OMAP-L138
> >> EVM boards. First 6 patches of this set are same as the previous
> >> patches. The last 3 patches are different.
> >
> > Thanks for the updated comments.
> >
> > Applying to master and queing for 2.6.34 in davinci-next.
> >

> After more discussions on reserving EMDA channels, I'm dropping
> patches 5 and 7-9 from the master branch and davinci-next.
>
> The DSP driver should be allocating channels it expects to
> be reserved using existing APIs.

Kevin,

I am still not sure if having a notion of resource reservation
in EDMA driver is such a bad idea.

EDMA as a peripheral is built to be shared across cores and I
think the driver should expose some construct to enable resource
reservation instead of assuming that it can arbitrate resources
for all cores every time.

Example, the DA830 is a DSP boot device and there exists a use case
where DSP boots simultaneously with the ARM. Here the DSP is not
just codecs, but has a bunch of peripheral drivers running on it.
Here, dsplink will not be able to play a role.

Simultaneous boot-up of DSP is used to achieve fast boot-up and quick
power on response. Having DSP control peripherals helps avoid data
transfer latency.

Thanks,
Sekhar

PS: The use case above also requires that the kernel be instructed
not to re-initialize the EDMA common registers, but that would be
another patch.