Hi,

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 03:10:37, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 18:04:09 +0530
> Sudhakar Rajashekhara <sudhakar....@ti.com> wrote:
>
> > On some platforms like DM355, the number of EDMA parameter
> > slots available for EDMA_SLOT_ANY usage are few. In such cases,
> > if MMC/SD uses 16 slots for each instance of MMC controller,
> > then the number of slots available for other modules will be
> > very few.
> >
> > By passing the number of EDMA slots to be used in MMC driver
> > from platform data, EDMA slots available for other purposes
> > can be controlled.
>
> It's unclear what the runtime effects of this change are.  I assumed
> (without justification) that they're minor and I scheduled the patch for
> 2.6.35.
>
> If that was the wrong decision then blame the changelog ;)

Most of the platforms will not use this platform data variable. But on DM355,
as the number of EDMA resources available is limited, the number of scatter-
gather segments used inside the MMC driver can be 8 (passed as platform data)
instead of 16. On DM355, when the number of scatter-gather segments was reduced
to 8, I saw a performance difference of about 0.25-0.4 Mbytes/sec during write.
Read performance variations were negligible.

Thanks,
Sudhakar