Hi John,

> Does anyone successfully written the UBL image in block 1/5 from linux
userspace?

If you're using NAND, the layout of the ECC checksum data in the OOB of
the flash is different between u-boot/linux and RBL/UBL. If you write
the UBL with linux, the RBL that loads UBL will try to check ECC, but
will load the ECC bytes from the wrong places, so it thinks the page is
bad.

Some days ago I did send an email named "Layout of OOB data in NAND
flash" over this list about this ECC layout mess. Unfortunately nobody
could explain to me why it is "designed" this way...

Currently I'm investigating two options:

- Change the ECC layout in the davinci_nand.c driver of kernel/u-boot =>
I'm not sure if this works together with JFFS2 or UBI as they also have
their opinions about OOB layout

- Writing a special tool that does its own OOB data handling

Regards,
 Andreas.