Hi Steve,

> In general, the Linux kernel tries to cache as much data in memory as
> possible in order to improve performance.  Therefore, it is quite
> normal to see decreasing free memory over time.  As long as the kernel
> is able to free memory cache when needed, there are no issues.

I saw many times free memory reducing in many arm systems.
Normally, for example when 3MB remain and I tried a malloc of 4MB
(writing also data in it .. because I don't trust 'disabling over
commit') the kernel frees tha pages needed and goes on.
If the ram is really finishing, the kernel kills, launching a function
called oom_killer (http://linux-mm.org/OOM_Killer), at least one
process, and then goes on.

I have create a small and easy memory mapper tool using a list of pointer.
When you press '+' on the cmdline 1MB are malloc'ed and filled of data.
The opposite when you press '-'.
So you are sure that the memory can be used.

I'm still searching instead a way to know how much memory can be used
without using it.
I'd like to work on a system with not enough ram to make every process
working simultaneously.

Hoping it helps,
Raffaele