WG Members,

At the RIPE75 in Dubai, the working group chairs committed to presenting a
proposal for revising the chair selection process and general housekeeping of
the Database working group. This was motivated from some of the challenges we
experienced as a working group over the past year. After taking a review of the
other RIPE community working groups, the proposal below represents what we feel
Is a fair approach to revise our current processes. This also includes
clarification on matters where previously our processes were unclear. This also
includes comments and feedback from members of the working group.

Please express your support or otherwise for these changes, the intent is to
use this process for future chair selection including the pending selection
process due.

Kind regards,

William & Denis
DB-WG Co-Chairs

Proposed revision to the Database Working Group chair selection process;

1) Number of chairs is a minimum of 2 with a maximum of 3.
2) Chair can be removed at any time by consensus.
3) Chair terms are staggered yearly.
4) One chair per year is replaced.
5) Working group selects chair by consensus.
6) The consensus judgement will be made by the serving WG co-chair(s) and will
exclude the co-chair(s) who is the subject of that consensus judgement.
7) Selection process is as follow;
7.1) Interested parties have two weeks to make their interest known via the
mailing list, or directly to the Chair/s.
7.2) After two weeks, the Chair/s ensure that all candidates are announced on
the mailing list and issue a call for discussion.
7.3) WG members express their approval or otherwise of the presented candidates.
7.4) Two weeks after the call for discussion, the Chair/s declare a decision,
based on mailing list discussion, as they would do for a policy proposal.
8) Any appeal over a consensus decision will be heard by the RIPE Chair (or
their deputy) whose decision shall be final.
9) In the case more than one chair is up for selection at the same time, the
chair with the greatest support will take a multi-year term, the chair with the
least support will take the second longest term. Terms will be determined by
the number of chairs (3 chairs = 3 year term, 2 chairs = 2 year teams). The
intent is to maintain continuity of the working group chairs. So the working
group is never left without a chair.