(Sorry about this.  typed the comment into the chat window, hit submit, got
“disconnected” error, reconnected, but too late to comment.)

The comment at the mic was that there are many IP prefix resources in the
database that are not globally routed, and that those objects were not part of
the RIPE database purpose as stated. So collection of personal data for those
objects could not rely on the RIPE database purpose for justification.

I disagree that the lack of current global routing for an IP prefix means the
RIPE database purpose of facilitating coordination does not apply.

An allocated prefix can be globally announced at any time.  So there’s a need
to have the data, anyway.

In the current state of routing security, an allocated prefix can be globally
announced at any time, not necessarily by the legitimate prefix holder.  We’ve
seen several examples of some ISP announcing a prefix that seemed not to be in
use, sometimes even registering a route object for the announcement, and using
that prefix for some unfriendly purpose.  So there is still a need to have
contact data for a prefix even before the legitimate prefix holder decides to
globally announce the prefix.

—Sandy