      From: Job Snijders <j...@instituut.net>
 To: denis walker <ripede...@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc: Lu Heng <h...@anytimechinese.com>; Database WG <db-wg@ripe.net>
 Sent: Friday, 15 June 2018, 14:03
 Subject: Re: [db-wg] A test on AFRINIC range announcing without RIPE route
object

Dear Denis,

On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 1:58 PM, denis walker via db-wg <db-wg@ripe.net> wrote:
> My current understanding is that AFRINIC does not refuse to create a ROUTE
> simply because you do not own the foreign ASN. They may do some additional
> checks, but if everything is in order they will permit the ROUTE creation.
> So this is not a show stopper.

It turns out that AfriNIC will allow you to set any African Origin ASN
- but only allows foreign ASNs as "Origin ASN" iff the prefix holder
and the ASN holder are the same organisation. This is why
organisations that lease AfriNIC IP space out to to non-AfriNIC ASNs
must use RADB, RIPE, NTTCOM, ALTDB, etc where these restrictions do
not apply.

This restriction does not apply when creating RPKI ROAs - when
creating a ROA the prefix holder can simply input any ASN regardless
of whether it is an AfriNIC managed resource or not.

Kind regards,

Job