Dear Nathalie,

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 03:18:37PM +0200, Nathalie Trenaman via db-wg wrote:
> We will implement these changes in the Release Candidate environment
> on Thursday, 2 August and go to full production on Tuesday, 4
> September.
>
> Our implementation plan can be found at:
> https://www.ripe.net/manage-ips-and-asns/db/impact-analysis-for-nwi-5-implementation

In section 5, the following is stated:

    """For NRTM, we don't plan to separate out the stream by source.
    Updates from both the RIPE and RIPE-NONAUTH sources will be
    included.

    The source is specified in the request (e.g., -g RIPE:3:11012700-LAST),
    but updates from both RIPE and RIPE-NONAUTH will be returned. The
    client will need to filter on the source attribute as needed."""

I'd like to ask that this aspect is reconsidered. I'd prefer to mirror
the two data sources as two separate data streams. So "-g RIPE:3:11012700-LAST"
should only return proper 'RIPE' objects, and additionally I can track
RIPE-NONAUTH through the use of "-g RIPE-NONAUTH:3:1102700-LAST".

Presenting objects to NRTM clients where the objects have a different
source than was requested by the client is undefined behaviour. Therefor
I'd prefer Using separate streams for the two separate sources, that way
it is business as usual for the NRTM clients.

To illustrate further: my current irrd.conf (irrd v3) is as following:

        job@eng0 ~$ grep ripe /etc/irrd.conf
        ! RIPE - ripe-...@ripe.net
        irr_database ripe mirror_host 193.0.6.135 4444
        irr_database ripe mirror_protocol 3
        irr_database ripe mirror-access 27
        irr_database ripe filter routing-registry-objects|route6

And on September 4th I'd reconfigure it as:

        ! RIPE - ripe-...@ripe.net
        irr_database ripe mirror_host 193.0.6.135 4444
        irr_database ripe mirror_protocol 3
        irr_database ripe mirror-access 27
        irr_database ripe filter routing-registry-objects|route6
        irr_database ripe-nonauth mirror_host 193.0.6.135 4444
        irr_database ripe-nonauth mirror_protocol 3
        irr_database ripe-nonauth mirror-access 27
        irr_database ripe-nonauth filter routing-registry-objects|route6

Similarly I'd expect that the RIPE and RIPE-NONAUTH sources are provided
as separate dumps at https://ftp.ripe.net/ripe/dbase/ (where I'd expect
ripe-nonauth.db.gz) and same for https://ftp.ripe.net/ripe/dbase/split/

Kind regards,

Job