Hi Alexander
You may well be right but duplicated personal data in a public database for
'convenience' is probably not acceptable.
cheersdenisco-chair DB-WG

      From: Alexander Stranzky via db-wg <db-wg@ripe.net>
 To: db-wg@ripe.net
 Sent: Thursday, 20 September 2018, 14:57
 Subject: [db-wg] PERSON objects in the RIPE Database

On 20/09/2018 15:04, denis walker via db-wg wrote:
> Colleagues,
>
> I will start with a blunt question, then give some arguments for my
> concern. In May the RIPE NCC told me there are?more than 2 million
> PERSON objects in the RIPE Database. That is almost 25% of the objects
> in the database. Who are these people and why do we hold so much
> personal data?

Hello,

I suspect that many of these objects are old (pre-API) and/or
duplicates. Before RIPE had a REST API (and I can't tell how many ISPs
still use emails to create their resources) automatically fetching,
linking, and updating a RIPE object was a pain (as is the current
situation with APNIC) and likely involved someone to create the email
personally. Hence going the easy route--making new entries every time.

Regards,
Alexander Stranzky

--
velia.net Internetdienste GmbH * Hessen-Homburg-Platz 1 * 63452 Hanau
Geschäftsführer: Franz G. Köhler, Arek Akilli * AG Hanau * HRB 7588