Hi,

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 03:51:20PM +0100, Alexander Stranzky via db-wg wrote:
> recently I stumbled upon some less-used status of the INETNUM object,
> namely LIR-PARTITIONED PA & LIR-PARTITIONED PI. Since there is no
> difference in the docs
> (https://www.ripe.net/manage-ips-and-asns/db/support/documentation/ripe-database-documentation/rpsl-object-types/4-2-descriptions-of-primary-objects/4-2-4-description-of-the-inetnum-object),
> can anyone tell me when to use PA and when PI?

If you partition a PA block, the result is PA.

If you partition a PI block, the result is PI.

(Though I wonder if "LIR-PARTITIONED PI" is actually a real thing, and
strictly speaking the documentation quoted *can not* be correct, because
you can't partition "an allocation" into "PI")

More verbose explanation on these values is here:

  https://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/archives/db-wg/2001-September/001732.html

Section "Functionality".

(And "oh my god was this long ago")

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

SpaceNet AG                      Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard, Michael Emmer
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14        Aufsichtsratsvors.: A. Grundner-Culemann
D-80807 Muenchen                 HRB: 136055 (AG Muenchen)
Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444         USt-IdNr.: DE813185279