Colleagues

I made a presentation at RIPE 77 last year about personal data in the RIPE
Database. Whilst I have been thinking a lot about this since then, and some
other comments have been made on different mailing lists recently, no action
has yet been considered.

This is not a trivial issue to fix and there are a number of points to
consider. It will most likely require some semantic changes to the RIPE
Database, and possibly the internal Registry Database and member portal may
need some changes, as well as some work to be done by resource holders. It may
also be an appropriate moment to review the requirements for contacts and
contact data in both databases.

The optimal solution is to manage the changes necessary to be compliant with
privacy laws and practices with the least technical changes and work required
by resource holders within a reasonable time frame. I see two approaches to
doing this, a lightweight and a heavyweight option.

The lightweight option is for myself, working with a couple of members who are
interested in finding solutions for this issue, to look at all the concerns,
raise points with the community for clarification and work towards a policy
proposal on personal data in the RIPE Database.

The heavyweight option is to set up a task force to look at the whole issue
surrounding contacts and personal data, consider possible solutions and report
back to the community at a future RIPE Meeting.

My personal preference is for the lightweight option. Whilst it is an issue
suitable for a Task Force to consider, history shows that Task Forces often
take years to reach conclusions and workable solutions. The previous Data
Protection Task Force met for 3 years and the recent Accountability Task Force
has been meeting for over 2 years, whilst BCOP has been in operation for more
than 5 years. I feel this issue needs a solution implementing this year.

I would like to hear opinions from the community on which way to go....

cheersdenisco-chair DB-WG