Edward Shryane via db-wg wrote on 28/05/2019 12:12:
Unfortunately, no cleanup was done when this rule was implemented,
but in recent times we try to do this. I will also contact the
maintainers of these route objects and ask them to fix the holes
attribute(s).
I wonder if this key should be formally deprecated. It's used for 643 out of 302354 route: objects and 40 out of 28803 route6: objects, i.e. ~0.2% and 0.1% respectively. The complexity associated with handling it is substantial and most tools simply ignore it.

Nick