I would like to offer strong support for this from the APNIC region.

RDAP has an ability to handle this, and I feel is rapidly becoming the
visible super-set of behaviour we need in Registry to record and
propagate information.

We still use RPSL encoded state in Whois for public record and contact
information, and we should strive to support IDN emails. They are
needed, and they are wanted.

As Leo points out, as the various jurisdictions for administration
move from ASCII to IDN domains, the utility of contact information
which remains in their second-rank domain drops significantly.

-George