As far as I'm aware, since IP addresses _can_ uniquely identify a person
(think of static IPs offered by some ISPs), it is considered personal data
by authorities.

GDPR leaves a huge grey area that is up to interpretation, which in
practice boils down to companies trying to avoid even said grey area and
keeping a very strict GDPR policy. Been there, done that (doing that, in
fact). Painful as it is, that's the law.

Agoston