Dear Colleagues,

After starting work on the implementation, we discovered that "status:" values
are *already* automatically converted to uppercase on update. This was
implemented in Whois release 1.73.1 and deployed on 27th May 2014, but existing
non-uppercase values were not cleaned up at the time.

I propose simplifying the implementation plan as follows:

(1) Update Whois business rule validation (already implemented)

When a non-uppercase "status:" value is converted to uppercase, a global
informational message is added to the response:

        ***Info:    Value %s converted to %s

(2) Cleanup existing non-uppercase "status:" values in the RIPE database

On next *Monday 30th August*, we will run a cleanup script to convert all
existing non-uppercase "status:" values to uppercase.

We found approximately 21,492 out of 4,217,303 inetnum objects; 2,577 out of
655,856 inet6num objects; 0 out of 37,056 aut-num objects, with a non-uppercase
"status:" value.

As only the case of the "status:" value is changed, the objects remain
syntactically the same. We will *not* send notification emails to maintainers
for the change, apart from notifying the db-wg. The "last-modified:" value will
not change, but a new object version will be created (so the change will be
visible in the version history).

All changes will be visible in NRTM as the objects are updated. The change can
be considered a NOOP.

All changes will be visible in that night's database dump and split files.

We expect the cleanup script to take approximately an hour to complete all
updates.

Cleanup script updates will be applied cooperatively between normal updates, we
do not expect any interruption to Whois updates.

Regards
Ed Shryane
RIPE NCC