NOTE:  Some or all of the following may perhaps have been rendered moot
by the just-posted response of Sylvain Baya <absc...@gmail.com> in this
thread, but I'd like to get this all on the record anyway, especially
since I spent over a hour composing it. :-)

In message <d565baed-9c34-0ba5-9f8a-55b8c078d...@foobar.org>,
Nick Hilliard <n...@foobar.org> wrote:

>the RIPE NCC is a GDPR joint controller of the PII published in the
>ripedb. This is acknowledged by the RIPE NCC:
>> With regards to the RIPE Database, the RIPE NCC fills the role of
>> “Data Controller” - that is, the entity legally responsible for all
>> personal data stored in the RIPE Database.
>
>From: https://labs.ripe.net/author/athina/how-were-implementing-the-gdpr/

This assertion, that RIPE is a "controller" under the GDPR, is simply wrong,
at least with regards to these alleged millions of personal end-customer
records that are alleged to have been stuffed into the RIPE WHOIS data base
by these various alleged telecom companies, and or by any other third-
party that sits between the natural person(s) whose PII is at issue and RIPE.

Note that Ms. Fragkouli's assertion, as quoted above, is stated without
any caveats or qualifications of any kind, and also without any reference
to the actual text of GDPR, and lastly also without citation to any other
statutory authority or to any existing case law.

This is a perfect example of what I have been ranting about.  Without any
firm basis in either law or precedent it appears that Ms. Fragkouli, and
others, have persuaded themselves that secrecy is a Good Thing and that
thus, any excuse that may come to hand that may seem to permit even more
excessive, arbitrary, and capricious secrecy must be, by definition, a
Good Thing.

I take issue with this viewpoint, which is arguably extreme, and I challenge
both Ms. Fragkouli and any and all other parties to provide here the factual
and legal basis they are claiming as support for this clear misinterpretation
of the fundamental terms of reference of the actual GDPR legislation, as
differentiated from the personal views of Ms. Fragkouli or any other member
of the community.

(A modest suggestion:  It would perhaps be Helpful if some of the membership
debating this issue would actually read the GDPR legislation, rather than
simply speculating about what it actually says.)

Again, to be clear, it is possible that RIPE may qualify, under the terms
of reference of GDPR, as the data "controller" in those instances where there
is no third party sitting between the natural person whose PII is at issue
and RIPE, however even in those cases it is my assertion that the actual
legal applicability of GDPR may be tempered by the explicit terms of the
contractual relationship between the parties.

In any and every case where there _is_ some third-party sitting between RIPE
and the natural persons whose PII is at issue, I do not believe that there
can be any question whatsoever that RIPE is not the data "controller", for
purposes of GDPR, and that thus, RIPE bears no leagl responsibility of any
kind in these instances.

>If you explicitly give consent for them to publish your personal
>information, that's fine.

Now you are just playing with words.  I _did not_ "explicitly" give consent
to RIPE to publish any of my personal information.  I simply included my
personal information into an email message which was sent to this mailing
list.  Nontheless, subsequent to that RIPE _did_ in fact publish my private
information.  So now, do I have a legal cause of action against RIPE?
Can I now sue RIPE for millions of dollars?  Because that is one obvious
possible implication of your use of the ever-so-maleable word "explicitly".

>As this information is published in NL, your
>PII is subject to Dutch and EU law, and is therefore subject to the GDPR.

No, it isn't, and you are making the mistake of assuming, without any
supporting evidence or any legal basis I might add, that GDPR applies
to either natural persons or to data controllers that exist extirely
outside of GDPR's legal jurisdiction (i.e EU+EEA).  This is simply false,
and GDPR does not have such broad extra-territorial jurisdiction over
either natural persons or data controllers that exist entirely outside
the GDPR jurisdictional region.

(This is also one of my several pet peeves that I have been ranting about.
I understand that there is a lot of wishful thinking associated with various
bits of public speculation about the actual jurisdictional limits of GDPR,
but the legislation just doesn't say either what many think it says or what
many would like it to say.)

In the example of my prior posting here I included some of my own PII.
I am (and was) the "data controller" for purposes of GDPR with respect to
that specific instance of "leakage" of my PII... not RIPE.  To assert
otherwise is to demonstrate a clear misunderstanding of the fundamental
terms of reference of GDPR.  And that misunderstanding becomes obvious
when the legal implications of this misinterpretation of the term
"controller" are adequately contemplated and found to lead to patently
absurd practical outcomes.

I cannot in fact sue RIPE over the fact that it has published my PII for
all the world to see because as I have said, RIPE is not the controller
in this example.  Indeed, under the very explicit and specific terms of
GDPR, I cannot even sue myself for having leaked my personal PII for
the following TWO reasons:

    1)  I am a natural person residing outside of GDPR's jurisdiction, and
        thus, my own PII is not something that GDPR even has anything at all
        to say about.

    2)  I am (and was), for purposes of GDPR, the data "controller" when I
        posted my PII to this list.  As a data controller which itself resides
        entirely outside of the GDPR jurisdictional area, GDPR does not
        provide me, as a natural person, with any grounds to sue myself, as
        a data controller, because the "data controller" is outside of GDPR's
        physical/territorial jurisdiction.

        If one of you Europeans gives your PII to some company that has a
        physical presence only in, say, Russia, or Ukraine, or Turkey,
        or Azerbaijan, or the United States for that matter, and if that
        company then splatters out PII all over the Internet, GDPR does not
        provide you with any basis for legal action.

In summary, there has been and continues to be a great deal of mistaken
misinformation and misinterpretation of the actual text of the GDPR
legislation, much of which would lead to obviously absurd outcomes if
taken seriously.  These misinterpretations relate not only to the basic
terms of reference, e.g. "controller", but also to the actual jurisdictional
limitations and constraints of GDPR with respect to persons, places, entities
and data.  GDPR is not actually quite so boundless with respect to any of
these things as some would wish, and mere misinterpretations of GDPR should
not and cannot be used as a justification for ill-founded RIPE policies.

Regards,
rfg

P.S. In order to forestall the inevitable assertions that I have herein been
a sexist pig, or that I have in any way unfairly picked on Ms. Fragkouli or
her expertise, I will say now quite plainly that all she has done is to
write and publish a single somewhat overbroad sentence (quoted again above)
regarding the applicability of GDPR to RIPE, and that one sentence is correct
in some contexts, even as it is incorrect or inapplicable in others.

For the sake of brevity, I assume, Ms. Fragkouli failed to attach to that
one sentence relevant and important caveats which would qualify the sentence.
More recently, and since the time Ms. Fragkouli wrote and published that one
sentence, it has been others who have postulated what I believe to be
incorrectly expansive interpretations of Ms. Fragkouli's single sentence
on this topic.  She is surely not not to blame in any way for these subsequent
and arguably agressive misinterpretations.