Colleagues

My vacation is almost over and I have a lot of emails to reply to so I
will start with the topic of the day, geofeed. We have to think out of
the box here. You are all approaching this issue from the same wrong
angle. There is no point criticizing the legal team for doing their
job. The answer was actually in that review..."If the purposes of the
RIPE Database have changed". So the answer is simple, we add a new
purpose to the RIPE Database. The only problem is we have never done
this before in any formal way. We have no precedent, no process or
procedure for doing this. I am hoping someone at the RIPE NCC can help
us with establishing a process for doing this, maybe the legal team,
senior management team, Daniel, the Executive Board if we need a
resolution to be put to a GM...

So let's first take a step back. The purposes of the RIPE Database
have become the elephant in the room, no one wants to talk about them.
The Database Task Force (DB-TF) completely sidestepped the issue. I
did warn them several times that this must be addressed, but they
ignored me (sorry guys). I tried to raise the issue at RIPE 83 but I
was heavily criticized for doing so. I could see 2 or 3 years ago that
this was a problem that would have to be addressed soon. Now we can no
longer ignore the issue.

What are the purposes now? We had the original purposes defined in the
mid 1990s. These are the ones the DB-TF worked with. But they were
reviewed in 2010 by the Data Protection Task Force (DPTF). As a member
of the DPTF I wrote the initial draft of the RIPE Database Terms &
Conditions (T&C). This included a list of purposes in Article 3. These
extended the original set of purposes. The wording was tweaked by the
DPTF and the community and consensus was reached on this set of
purposes. But there wasn't a lot of discussion about the actual
purposes, just the wording.

So the first question to answer is, do we take the set of purposes
listed in Article 3 of the T&C as the definitive list of current
purposes, regardless of what the DB-TF considered?

The next question is, what new purpose would we add to cover geofeed?
Again I did make a recommendation to the DB-TF about this. I suggested
something like:

"The RIPE Database may contain data that an agreed set of external
services may use, require or rely on."

This purpose would cover:
-"geofeed:"
-"geoloc:"
-"language:"
-"abuse-c:"
-IRT object
-use of ROLE objects for contacts for external services like RIPE Atlas

 None of the above list are covered by any of the purposes currently
defined in the T&C. We would then have to define somewhere the 'agreed
set of external services'.

If we want to add a new purpose we then need to establish a procedure
for doing this with community consent. There is no policy on the
purposes of the RIPE Database so the PDP would not work here. As the
RIPE Database is a service provided by the RIPE NCC and covered by a
set of legally binding T&C, it may need a resolution by the GM to
change the T&C. There is also the issue of how any new purpose may
(legally) impact on the existing data contained within the database
and any consent that has been given for the use of that data.

Daniel said in Iceland that it is "time to stop tinkering around the
edges of the RIPE Database and address some of the fundamental
issues". I think this is an appropriate moment to add a new purpose
and work through the whole process of doing so. Maybe we can sort it
out by RIPE 85 in case we do need to involve the GM. I suspect we may
do this again once we establish the process.

cheers
denis
co-chair DB-WG