Based on what has been said in this thread so far, I cannot support
automatic clean-up of AS-SETs even if they are empty.
There is simply way too little to be gained compared to the issues it
could cause.
Also if there is someone who maliciously created a short AS-SET, they
could simply just add an ASN into it to exclude it from automatic
clean-up.

It might be complicated but I really think the better way to go about
it is to handle each of the individual cases in which this is an issue
as I suspect that there are not many and they are probably pretty
clear cases.
I know of AS-AMAZON but are we aware of any other potentially
problematic AS-SETs in the RIPE DB currently?
Also I don't even know if it is currently causing issues for amazon,
but maybe Fredrik could answer that?

-Cynthia