Hi,

Denis is right, the problem isn't only RIPE access and I aggre DB needs to be redesigned in terms of security - we're talking not only about LIR portal and RPKI dashboard, which caused issue with Orange.

If you break objects in DB in similar manner (as-sets, route objects), you'll cause similar outage - just because many upstreams and IXP use these data to build their prefix filters. Maybe the destruction will not be so fast...

For some methods (restAPI) you need password linked to maintainer object. And all passwords here are still stored in MD5! Yes, this is year 2023. There's no other option [1]...

All this is one big ticking bomb... I don't want to guess what could happen if the internal in case of internal RIPE database leak. Just because we're still storing some passwords in prehistoric way.

It's not only about LIR accounts, risks are also hidden in maintainer objects, which can be used outside LIR portal. And it's out of reach of one working group.

Trivialization of risks is highway to hell. And there're more things, which needs better protection - not only RPKI ROAs.
​
- Daniel

[1] https://apps.db.ripe.net/docs/Authorisation/Authorisation-Model/#solving-authentication-problems