file: $CPAN/authors/id/T/TI/TIMB/DBI-1.57.tar.gz
  size: 490304 bytes
   md5: fca667f59dff24058a8e0e8f09e2aad9

=head2 Changes in DBI 1.57 (svn rev 9639),  13th June 2007

  Note: this release includes a change to the DBI::hash() function which will
  now produce different values than before *if* your perl was built with 64-bit
  'int' type (i.e. "perl -V:intsize" says intsize='4').  It's relatively rare
  for perl to be configured that way, even on 64-bit systems.

  Fixed XS versions of select*_*() methods to call execute()
    fetch() etc., with inner handle instead of outer.
  Fixed execute_for_fetch() to not cache errstr values
    thanks to Bart Degryse.
  Fixed unused var compiler warning thanks to JDHEDDEN.
  Fixed t/86gofer_fail tests to be less likely to fail falsely.

  Changed DBI::hash to return 'I32' type instead of 'int' so results are
    portable/consistent regardless of size of the int type.
  Corrected timeout example in docs thanks to Egmont Koblinger.
  Changed t/01basic.t to warn instead of failing when it detects
    a problem with Math::BigInt (some recent versions had problems).

  Added support for !Time and !Time~N to DBI::Profile Path. See docs.
  Added extra trace info to connect_cached thanks to Walery Studennikov.
  Added non-random (deterministic) mode to DBI_GOFER_RANDOM mechanism.
  Added DBIXS_REVISION macro that drivers can use.
  Added more docs for private_attribute_info() method.

  DBI::Profile changes:
    dbi_profile() now returns ref to relevant leaf node.
    Don't profile DESTROY during global destruction.
    Added as_node_path_list() and as_text() methods.
  DBI::ProfileDumper changes:
    Don't write file if there's no profile data.
    Uses full natural precision when saving data (was using %.6f)
    Optimized flush_to_disk().
    Locks the data file while writing.
    Enabled filename to be a code ref for dynamic names.
  DBI::ProfileDumper::Apache changes:
    Added Quiet=>1 to avoid write to STDERR in flush_to_disk().
    Added Dir=>... to specify a writable destination directory.
    Enabled DBI_PROFILE_APACHE_LOG_DIR for mod_perl 1 as well as 2.
    Added parent pid to default data file name.
  DBI::ProfileData changes:
    Added DeleteFiles option to rename & delete files once read.
    Locks the data files while reading.
    Added ability to sort by Path elements.
  dbiprof changes:
    Added --dumpnodes and --delete options.
  Added/updated docs for both DBI::ProfileDumper && ::Apache.

=cut

You can see the primary focus of my recent developments for Shopzilla
have been around profiling. Specifically using the DBI's profiling
mechanisms to implement lightweight always-on application-level profiling.

Enjoy!

Tim.

p.s. I've a new module, called DashProfiler, that provides a simple,
flexible, efficient way to add performance monitoring to an application,
especially web applications. It's trivial to track the time spent inside
specific blocks of code, or the lifespan of specific objects.

(It happens to use DBI handles internally to store profile data but is
unrelated to databases.  A working version, but with almost no docs, is
on CPAN. I'll announce the documented version when I release it but I
won't be using the dbi mailing lists for DashProfiler in future.)