Jeff Zucker wrote:

> Tim Bunce wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 08:50:45AM -0800, Jeff Zucker wrote:
> >
> > > Hmm, I just checked the SQL92 standard and if I'm reading it correctly
> > > the situation is ugly.  Section 5.2.13 appears to say that a regular
> > > identifier and a delimited identifier are equivalent if the *upper case*
> > > version of the regular identifier compares *in a case sensitive manor*
> > > to the delimited identifier.
> >
> > Got a URL?
>
> It's from the PDF of SQL92 I purchased from www.ansi.org.  But here's
> the text:
>
>   13)
>   A <regular identifier> and a <delimited identifier> are equiva-
>   lent if the <identifier body> of the <regular identifier> (with
>   every letter that is a lower-case letter replaced by the equiva-
>   lent upper-case letter or letters) and the <delimited identifier
>   body> of the <delimited identifier> (with all occurrences of
>   <quote> replaced by <quote symbol> and all occurrences of <dou-
>   blequote symbol> replaced by <double quote>), considered as
>   the repetition of a <character string literal> that specifies a
>   <character set specification> of SQL_TEXT and an implementation-
>   defined collation that is sensitive to case, compare equally
>   according to the comparison rules in Subclause 8.2, "<comparison
>   predicate>".

And SQL3 - Part 11: Information and Definition Schemas (SQL/Schemata)

  <http://www.jtc1sc32.org/.../32N0748T.pdf>

has something to say about the representation of an identifier:

 The representation of an <identifier> in the base tables and views
 of the Information Schema is by a character string corresponding
 to its <identifier body> (in the case of a <regular identifier>)
 or its <delimited identifier body> (in the case of a <delimited
 identifier>). Within this character string, any lower-case letter
 appearing in a <regular identifier> is replaced by the equivalent
 upper-case letter, and any <doublequote symbol> appearing in a
 <delimited identifier body> is replaced by a <double quote>.

Steffen