On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 09:52:33AM -0400, Jeff Urlwin wrote:
> Gary -- it's more likely in DBD::ODBC than DBI.

But not by much :)

Probably worth trying it with an older version of the DBI as a check.

> If you can create a
> self-contained sample, it would be greatly appreciated and looked at faster
> :)

Yes, a _small_ simple self-contained example script is a big help.
Copy the problem script and keep cutting away at it till the leak
goes away, or it gets so small it's obvious where the problem is.

> You didn't indicate if the loop is a set of inserts, queries, etc.  Does it
> have longs?  What's the LongReadLen value?
>
> If you can, include a drop table and create table statement at the top,
> insert test data, then run through something similar to your loop that's
> leaking.
>
> Tim -- if you have suggestions as to how to approach this with Perl, I'd be
> very appreciative!

The "keep making the sample code smaller" approach usually works well.

The Devel::Leak module may be useful:
http://search-beta.cpan.org/author/NI-S/Devel-Leak-0.02/Leak.pm

Another approach is to let the process grow huge (many MB) then
core dump it and look through the binary (using less or other viewer
that can read binary) and look for clues/patterns in the leaked memory.

Tim.