On Sun 04 Aug 2002 22:30, Tim Bunce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 04:22:11PM +0200, Daniel Ritz wrote:
> > hi
> >
> > [please CC as i'm not on the list]
> >
> > DBI has a real problem: input/output of date/time/timestamp values. each driver
>handles it different.
> > most of the drivers returns string, but all in a different format. this is where
>DBI should set a standard.
>
> Thanks for pointing that out, I might have missed it ;-)
>
> > in DBD-InterBase we now have a very flexible interface. for input a string is
>directly passed to the interbase
> > parser. for output we use strftime() to format the date/time/timestamp string.
>when preparing a query one can
> > specify the output format with the attributes ib_dateformat, ib_timeformat,
>ib_timestampformat. and if one
> > specifies 'TM' for the format string then DBD returns a refrerence to an array
>with the same fields as perl's
> > localtime() function does (it is all the struct tm members). for input it's the
>same. if a reference to an array
> > is detected that has enough element it is used to fill a struct tm.
>
> Nice.
>
> > now i'd like to see something similar to that in other DBDs. DBI should set a
>standard here to allow one
> > to easly change the underlying database w/o changing to much in scripts. DBI means
>Database independent
> > interface but it is not for date/time values.
>
> Straw poll: which drivers are _capable_ of supporting this?
> In other words, whicg drivers get enough info from the server to...
> a: know they're fetching a date/time/timestamp field, and

DBD::Unify

> b: if the server can only send the field as a string (not a binary struct etc)
>    and the server supports ways to configure the format of the string,
>    can the driver get enough info about the current format to parse
>    and deconstruct it?

Probably, but how should we be dealing with Time Zones?

If I fetch a Date/Time from the DB, I get a single number, and I would have to
convert that to a struct.

--
H.Merijn Brand        Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
using perl-5.6.1, 5.8.0 & 632 on HP-UX 10.20 & 11.00, AIX 4.2, AIX 4.3,