Tim Bunce wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 03:53:16PM -0800, Dean Arnold wrote:
> > I don't think ODBC provides any clear guidance.
> > It defines 2 distinct descriptor elements:
> >
> > COLUMN_SIZE: the size in bytes
> > DISPLAY_SIZE: the size in characters
> >
> > And PRECISION is only defined wrt numerics;
> > otherwise, the column descriptors only return OCTET_LENGTH
> > (aka byte length).
>
> I've dug around in my books and "SQL-99 Complete, Really" says
> that SQLDescribeCol (which is the relevant function here) uses
> SQL_DESC_OCTET_LENGTH for the 'Columnsize' of char types.

SQLColAttribute

  <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/odbc/htm/odch21bpr_10.asp?frame=no>

is an extensible alternative to SQLDescribeCol. Because DBI's
statement handle attributes are extensible, isn't SQLColAttribute
the more relevant function here? If so, why not encourage a DBD to
support as much SQL_DESC_* attributes as it can?

Steffen