>>  SQL*Plus can report the version of the Oracle home in a
>> readily parseable way:
>>
>> $ echo DEFINE _SQLPLUS_RELEASE | sqlplus -S /nolog
>> DEFINE _SQLPLUS_RELEASE = "1001000200" (CHAR)
>>
>>  Any objections to me writing a patch to run sqlplus as
>>above to get this value?
>
> That would be great. Thanks.

Patch attached; have tried it on Linux + Oracle 10g, 9.2, and Solaris +
Oracle 7.3.4, 8.0.6, 9.0.1, 9.2.
7.3 doesn't report the version through _SQLPLUS_RELEASE, however it fell
back to one of the other methods correctly.

--
Andy Hassall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> / Space: disk usage analysis tool
<http://www.andyh.co.uk> / <http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space>