I've been lurking through the $sth->{NAME} issues and it seems to me that
the current behavior of DBD::ODBC is onerous.  If dbd_describe() fails, it
croaks (which is what DBD::Oracle does).

If we return a Nullsv at this point, the end application does *not* get an
undef reference, rather it gets a reference to an empty array.

Currently this affects calling sth->NAME on update, delete, most procedure
calls, DDL statements, etc.

I think I'd like having it return a null reference instead of a reference to
an empty array, but I don't know how to manage that at this point.

I know there was some discussion on this recently, but I couldn't find any
conclusion on google.  It's been a day of babysitting my three young kids,
so please excuse me if I missed it ;)

Regards,

Jeff