On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 10:04, Tim Bunce wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 12:02:19AM -0500, david nicol wrote:
> >
> > In the recent roadmap announcement, Tim Bunce wrote:
> >
> > > =head2 Other Enhancements
> > >
> > > * Support non-blocking mode for drivers that can enable it in their
> > >  client API.
> >
> > I have just startedworking with DBI but I'm doing something that would
> > benefit from a non-blocking mode.
> >
> > I would like a $sth->ready() function, which would start false but
> > become true (or throw errors when RaiseError is set) when there is
> > at least one whole row available to fetch, and a $sth->done() function
> > to indicate that there is nothing left to fetch.
>
> We would all like many things but have to settle for what's practical.
>
> The APIs of all the main databases which offer a non-blocking mode
> (which includes at least ODBC and Oracle OCI) need to be studied first
> to ensure that any DBI API design is workable for them.
>
> We might as well start that now...
>
> Can driver authors, and anyone else interested, please reply with a
> short summary of the way non-blocking mode works for 'your' database.
> Including URLs to relevant docs would be a *big* help.

Sybase's Client-Library API has a couple of options, but in general you
can say that the client sends the query to the server in
async/non-blocking mode and receives notification of pending results in
a "completion" callback function.

I haven't used it much, though I did implement the basic functionality
in the Sybase::CTlib module.

See:

http://sybooks.sybase.com/onlinebooks/group-sd/sdg1251e/ctref/@Generic__BookTextView/1039;pt=799/*#X

Michael