---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jonathan Scott Duff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Nov 22, 2006 2:45 PM
Subject: Re: [Pdl-porters] PDL - RDBMS linkage
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: pdl-porters@jach.hawaii.edu, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On 11/22/06, Doug Hunt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Jonathan:  I've done a bit of messing around with postgres and PDL.

To get a list postgres 1D arrays into a 2D PDL, I do this:

my $p = pdl ( map { tr /{}/[]/ && eval }
   @{$dbh->selectcol_arrayref($sql)} );

I'm kind of looking for a way to get perl out from in between the DBMS and
PDL. Sure, I can pull all of the data from the DBMS into perl-space and then
create a piddle from that, but it would be nicer if there were a way to do
something like this:

use PDL;
use DBI;
use DBI2PDL;   # okay, this name sucks, but work with me here :)
# ...
my $p = $sth->fetchrow_pdl;    # or ...
my $q = $sth->fetchall_pdl;      # or whatever ...

Basically I'm thinking that this hypothetical module would add *_pdl
routines that would complement the *_array routines of DBI.  Of course there
will have to be some smarts to deal with non-numeric columns and such, but
that's a detail best left for an actual implementation.  :-)

I don't know enough about PDL's insides to know just how possible this is
and I just realized that I probably don't know enough about DBI's insides
either.

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff