On 03/09/2013 11:43, Martin J. Evans wrote:
On 03/09/13 09:38, Tim Bunce wrote:
On Mon, Sep 02, 2013 at 08:53:18PM +0100, Martin J. Evans wrote:
On 02/09/2013 20:27, Martin J. Evans wrote:

Now, table_info() with no arguments is not mentioned in the DBI pod so
you could say that is undefined behaviour but it is a little late for
that now as DBD::ODBC uses it in test code and as far as I know, so do
others. However, to fix the initial bug I cannot know when empty
strings
are supposed to be undef/NULL and when they are supposed to be empty
strings. So I can fix the bug as shown but only if I change DBD::ODBC
test code from table_info() to table_info('%', '%', '%', '%') and I
cannot change anyone elses code.

Correction, in that last paragraph (I did warn you), I should have
said table_info() to table_info('%', '%', '%') i.e.,

table_info('%', '', '') returns catalogs only
table_info('', '%', '') returns schemas only
table_info('', '', '', '%') returns types only
table_info('%', '%', '%') returns everything
table_info() did return everything due to workaround in DBD::ODBC
but fixing bug ends up in table_info() returning nothing.

How about changing your test code to table_info('%', '%', '%', '%')

because that does not work. It would need to be table_info('%','%','%')
(or table_info(undef, undef, undef, undef) for it to work. In ODBC the
table type needs to be null or all types to get everything. Obviously
changing the test code is easy.

and treat table_info() a special case that triggers a warning?

hmm, I warned I might be having a bad day. As soon as I read that I
thought how do I do that as I'd forgotten there is a table_info method
in DBD::ODBC itself. It appears all the problems are DBD::ODBC specific
as I missed the code that set the parameters to q{} if not defined.

Tim.

Thanks and sorry for noise.

Martin

Pushed changes to github and will try and find time to release updates tomorrow. This started from http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18450002/retrieving-available-table-types-schemas-and-catalogs-using-dbiodbc-table-i. This actually found a bug in the easysoft sql server odbc driver re: calling SQLTables with % as the table_type - ask easysoft support for an updated driver if you need this fix. If no complaints I will release a new DBD::ODBC with new test cases in the next week.

Martin
--
Martin J. Evans
Wetherby, UK