I've run into the same problem on RedHat 6.2 running perl 5.6.0.  I am
trying to set up a Proxy server, but I can't get PlRPC to make it through
the test.  If I install it, start the Proxy Server, and try to connect I
get the same message below.  I ran it in the debugger and followed down to
IO::Socket, it dies when there is not a socket returned. I do have a Proxy
Server running on another
Linux Box(RH6.2) that is running Perl 5.005_03 and it works fine.  Do you
know if this is a Perl 5.6 on Linux Bug?  I am running Perl 5.6 on my FreeBSD
box and I am able to to use Proxy without errors.  I haven't worked on this
for a couple of days, but I need to resolve this issue.  I was going to test
with code that uses IO::Socket. If that doesn't work, I am going to install
Perl 5.005_03, and try that.