All,

New to Perl and DBI, but I've got a few higher level questions.  Yes/no
answers would be more than sufficient.

I'm looking to build a Web-based app, and I'd like use CGI/Perl to act
as a middleware between the user (via the browser) and a C++ app sitting
somewhere on the LAN.  I know that I can use Perl to open sockets to the
C++ app and pass data back and forth.

Questions:
1. I'd like to provide the user with results to SQL queries to a few
databases (Oracle, MySQL, ...).  Can the Perl DBI be set up so that it
can easily switch between databases?  For example, if the user has a
form that sends the database type, host, database name, and port info to
the Perl DBI, will the database be transparent to the user (assuming all
have the same tables present)?

2. If #1 is true, can I load multiple modules to support the different
databases, or would they conflict with each other?

3. Are some database interfaces better supported than others?

4. If I set up the Perl DBI using CGI on a Win 2K machine, it should
work the same on a Linux or Solaris box, correct?

Thanks for the help,
Mark

--
Mark Riehl