On 2 Apr 2001, at 17:33, Millman, Phillip wrote:

> I have an Access database that I would like to be able to update/query
> from Unix.  What is the best way to do this?  Can I use ODBC on UNIX?

:) ... oh geee ...  I once had to do something like this for an MS
SQL server. I managed to connect and read values but I was not
able to update but that could have been permissions problems; as
the project fell through I never pursued it.  Anyhow I did this through
freetds (and I remember reading a lot about sybase at the time for
some reason):

http://www.freetds.org/

> FreeTDS is a project to document and implement the TDS (Tabular
> DataStream) protocol. TDS is used by Sybase and Microsoft for client
> to database server communications. The FreeTDS project will implement
> many call level interfaces including: DB-Lib, CT-Lib, ODBC, JDBC, and
> Perl DBI

I recall it being a lot of work. Apparently there are a few companies
that sell/support systems for doing this.

Peter

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go
away".
                -- Philip K. Dick