From: "Gordon Hunter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2001 1:06 PM
Subject: connecting to different versions of Oracle

I have limited experience at compiling up modules.  However I was able to
compile the DBI and DBD:Oracle modules o.k.  They work nicely.  However we
have several versions of oracle here and I used 8.1.6 libraries to compile
the DBD module in the hope that they would be backwards compatible with
earlier versions.  But I'm not able to connect to any of the other versions
(get a Bus error core dump).  It seems reasonable that I would have to
compile a DBD module for each version of Oracle I wish to connect to.  But
if I do that, would the 'make install' overwrite the files I have already
installed for 8.1.6 in my site_specific directory?