PSCI_1I am relatively new to Perl, primary experience through Windows NT
with limited knowledge of UNIX.  I have been instructed to identify a
corporate standard version of Perl and upgrade our desktops and servers. For
servers we have NT, HP/UX and SunSolaris.  We run Oracle 7 & 8, and DB2 UDB.
Is it naive of me to think that I can have one standard build of perl for
the corporation?  I was thinking of having one, with DBD's for all our
databases included...meaning the DB2 DBD would be installed even on a server
running only Oracle; it wouldn't be used it would just be there such that
there was a standard configuration.  Or should I have multiple
configurations, one per OS platform and even perhaps DBMS?

I saw in the dbi-archives warnings against mixing Oracle 7 & 8
implementations.  Yet saw other items indicating users having both Oracle
and Oracle8 DBD's installed.  Can someone clarify this for me, can I have
both versions of the Oracle DBD or do I have to match the Oracle client
and/or DB level?

Also, when looking at the ActiveState ActivePerl5.6 build 623 PPM packages,
it appears that the DBD:Oracle is not available for Solaris and no mention
of UNIX whatsoever.
http://www.activestate.com/ASPN/Downloads/ActivePerl/PPM/Packages
Should I be looking somewhere else (CPAN) instead?  I've never done Make's
before...and well you know, it's kind of a fear of the unknown....ok...I'm
chicken  :-)

TIA
Paula (a.k.a  A fish out of water!  :-) )