Marty> The end result in oracle is that I have the entire result set
Marty> in memory and can skip around, back and forth (so-to-speak)
Marty> through the data. I've used fetchall_arrayref with a foreach
Marty> loop in the past with perl/dbi but I would really love to
Marty> replicate this same functionality from oracle (boo boo
Marty> hisssss).

But fetchall_* does exactly what you want.  The fact that you've
always used it within a foreach loop is irrelevant.

| # load all results into memory and get an array-of-array-refs:
| my $results_aref = fetchall_arrayref(...);
|
| # yank out individual rows:
| my @first_row = @{ $results_aref->[0] };
| my @last_row  = @{ $results_aref->[-1] };
|
| # get all values of the first column: