I've sorted the problem, this is a bit obscure and is one of those
irritating obvious things...  A bit more background is required....

The box mysql is running on used to be a linux box but was moved to freebsd
with the compatability libraries etc.
After this was done everything, including mysql (a linux version) worked
fine.
Then freebsd was reinstalled for various reasons without the compatability
libraries (though I didn't know this at the time).  Mysqld, mysql and many
other parts of mysql where working fine so I didn't think the problem was
there, but it was. __errno_location comes from something like libc and
threading stuff in linux so mysql.so was failing on loading.  So one correct
version of mysql, one data transfer with all the associated problems,
rebuild DBI and bingo, it all works.

Thanks for the various hints and sorry I missed the correct bit of
information.